Thursday, June 4, 2015

To England: Side Trips, Part Two: Chester

After two weeks of being in the country, you would've thought I'd be better at stuff. I got to Chester and spent a pound to take the bus into the city center, only to get to the information place and for them to tell me the only place to leave my luggage is back out of town...I had looked this up but somehow just decided to be an idiot anyway.

So I had to hike back out almost to the train station to drop off my bag. UGH.
Victorians, ruining and preserving things at the same time since 1837.
Chester is one of the few British towns with a lot of its walls left, so I set out to walk around them. However, most of the rest of the town had been grossly Victorian-ized.


There were Roman ruins and a really neat church with cool graveyard ruins.
I visited the Grovsenor museum, which had a fun little collection of local stuff, which of course includes artifacts reaching back to Roman days.
Cathedral I didn't go in.
That was about it for Chester.

Ducklet in a canal



No comments: