Friday, June 27, 2014

To England: Bath Battles

Okay, I had no battles in Bath--other than traffic from all directions, my calves screaming on the hills, and, coupled with the other two: getting lost!

Bath reminds me of Toledo, Spain: I think it's the unity of building materials, teeny roads and one way traffic, confusing layout, and tourists, tourists, tourists. It is nice after 5-6 pm after most of the tourists leave (but most of the shops and sights close too). 



I took the free walking tour my first night which was a great way to pass an evening and a fabulous introduction to both the history and the street layout. It was long, though, and I was exhausted from my travels. 

The Roman Baths were interesting and made better by the Bill Bryson soundclips included in the included audio tour, which was necessary since there were few signs. I didn't like having to listen to all the information instead of being able to read/skim information as I chose, but the Bryson clips were great fun. Not so much amusing as insightful, but he helped bring it alive (they should've been snort-out-loud hilarious as Bryson often is in order to make a fool of yourself giggling in public). The gorgon head was definitely a highlight. 

(Not the gorgon head)

The Abbey itself was a bit dull--although it was terribly amusing to see it done up in Anglican style like the churches I grew up in, instead of like the other giant churches I've been to, all in Catholic Spain. The tower tour, however, was incredible! We went up windy, narrow, black staircases, across roofs, and behind the scenes. We peeked in on the bell ropes and mechanisms for ringing the bells, the other side of the vaulted ceiling, and the backside of the clock. Then, more stairs to the bells themselves (nicely timed so they were struck while we were up there) before finally climbing to the roof of the tower. On the way back down, we stood IN the famous façade and hopefully messed up a few photographs, unnoticed until everyone goes home! 

(Clock workings)

Other Bath highlights include the hanging loos and Pulteney Bridge. 

(Two loos-count 'em!)

No comments: