Friday, June 27, 2014

To England: Henges, Thatch, and Cats

took a bus tour one day, in order to visit Stonehenge, Avebury, and the villages Lacock and Castle Combe. 

Yes, yes: a bus tour. But it's not what you're thinking! It felt a lot like traveling with my Uncle Wayne: skinny back roads (even in a midsized van), silly commentary, and off-the-tourist-path sights. 

Stonehenge was first. I think it has improved in recent years, having heard horror stories of what it used to be like. However, it was SO crowded. 
Miraculous photo in which you can almost not see people...almost. 

A bit underwhelming, though not exactly disappointing: much smaller and gray-er than I was expecting. Still interesting though. 
Honestly, even to me, my pictures of it are more interesting than my memories of it...

Then we went to Avebury and unfortunately hardly had any time at all. Avebury was MORE impressive than I was expecting--not as much for the circumference of the circle (though impressive) as for the SIZE of the rocks which I'd pictured as much smaller. 

I would've spent all afternoon standing about in the field with the rocks.

And the sheep.

Then, on to Lacock village for lunch. Lacock was full of thatched roofs and half timbers. 
Disclaimer: yes, I know this is not thatch. Trust me when I say we saw a TON. 

And one lazy cat. 


Castle Combe which was a street, where all the highly rich hang out. I did not really manage a picture of the town, I guess. 

Just the church, and one hunting cat. 

All in all, a fabulous day. I walked away from the bus back in Bath with a huge grin on my face!

No comments: