Sunday, January 25, 2015

To England: Side Trips, Part One

I had a few days built into my schedule as sightseeing days en route to my next destination. This got a bit complicated as I was always weighed down with my backpack--no matter how light I tried to pack, there is something unpleasant about running around loaded down, so finding a place to leave it is a must. Still, more challenging is time management, especially when trying to string a few sites together at the whim of bus amd train schedules.

Trip one, between Bath and Stratford-Upon-Avon: Oxford and Blenheim Palace

Easily the most disappointing/frustrating day of my trip. I made it to Oxford a bit behind schedule thanks to the trains. Was able to leave my luggage at a hostel by the train station for a few pounds. The next bus to Blenheim wasn't for awhile so I decided to see a bit of Oxford first--mistake. I should've waited for the Blenheim bus and done Oxford after.

I bought a walking tour map of Oxford but was barely able to complete the one small loop, while moving at breakneck speed, before the later Blenheim bus I'd picked out.


Proof I was actually in Oxford. 

Blenheim was a disappointment. It just didn't seem that great to me. Palaces/manor houses aren't really my speed (to make a sweeping statement, history and architecture generally bore me between like 1650-1939) and I thought this one would be SO great I'd enjoy it but I just didn't. An EXPENSIVE bust.


Also, annoyingly difficult to take a half-decent photo of. 

Bustled back to Oxford and ended up sitting in the train station for about an hour before my train, too tired/short on time to see anything else.

Not a good day. Learned a ton of lessons though. Next time, I'd spend more time in Oxford and skip Blenheim completely. I'd still like to go back to Oxford.

Trip Two, between Stratford-Upon-Avon and London: Warwick, Kenilworth, and Coventry

This day was better. I was a bit nervous about touting my backpack around all day but it wasn't too horrible.


I started out on a bus to Warwick Castle, where I was able to store my bag in a locker.


 I was expecting Warwick Castle to be Disneyland'ish, and it was.


But it managed to not be completely void of character and it had some great ramparts walks.

After that, I took a bus to Kenilworth, then walked around the town with my backpack a ton, trying to get to the castle.


Was it worth the giant uphill climb under backpack duress?


Yes. (Especially after I left my backpack behind the counter at the visitor's center...) I could've stayed there all day taking photos.


Besides the beauty of the place, it was once home to Robert Dudley, lover of Queen Elizabeth.


Which is the type of history right up my alley.


Finally, I took the train to Coventry and just managed a quick poke around the bombed out cathedral (WWII damage) before it closed.

After dinner, I took an evening train into London for my adventures there!


No comments: