Monday, March 2, 2015

To England: London Town, Part Four. A side pilgrimage to Canterbury and Dover

On Monday, I decided to head out of London for Canterbury and Dover. Next time, I'd leave London on the weekend when the crowds were just terrible. I think I was worried the crowds would be just as bad anywhere but I would take those chances to have London be less awful.

Anyway. Canterbury Cathedral was underwhelming. Imagining Chaucer and Pilgrims helped. But I prefer Santiago de Compostela in terms of European pilgrimage sites.

IDK some dead king? An early Henry? VII?

Tomb lion.

Cloister. 

I got lost because Canterbury, although containing many tourists, had poor signage. I found St Augustine's Abbey eventually and enjoyed its ruinous ruins. I dunno if it would've been worth the entrance, but it was free with my English Heritage pass.
The top, brick part is when Henry VIII seized all the abbeys and then rebuilt a palace on top of it because he was pious like that.

Some sweet old tiles. I love tiles. There was a floor made out of these at some famous cathedral I went to--Westminster?--and it was like STAY OFF and all roped off. I felt pretty awesome visiting these "in the wilderness" as practically the only visitor at the site.

The inner tower you can see is a Norman tower much like the White Tower at the Tower of London.

Then I went off to Dover Castle. I took a 5-pound taxi ride up to the castle which was super worth it because it was a hike.
The ruined tower to the right is Roman, and I can't remember when the church is from but probably several eras, let's be honest.

The castle had been in continuous use from like 1200 so there were lots of different eras and building projects. And some Roman ruins, too. I went into the war tunnels which were interesting and made me feel like Don Wildman.

I went to bed early because the next day was.....WIMBLEDON DAY.

No comments: