Friday, February 13, 2015

To England: London Town, Part Three. More Museums, Greenwich, and the Globe.

I think we are up to Saturday on my London Trip. It was a long, hot, crowded day, though it started out well.

I took less pictures in London, for which I apologize. When there are a lot of other tourists around, I tend to put my camera away more for whatever reason.


I began Saturday by going to the Victoria and Albert Museum right when it opened. That part was great. It was GIANT so I just wandered around with not too much of a plan and tried not to worry too much about what I was missing. One favorite was some early 20th century biscuit tins in interesting shapes. My favorites were a castle and a traveling trunk. I also enjoyed the few remnants of the Great Exhibition of 1851.

After that I wandered into the Natural History Museum for a tiny bit but didn't stay long as it was unairconditioned and very crowded.

I left again and wandered around Hyde Park, again hot and crowded and I was hungry and had desperate need of a free toilet. I thought about taking a wander around on a public bus, but they also looked hot and crowded. I tried to go to St. Paul's but there was some service going on and you couldn't go in.

Finally, I made my way to the British Museum. Also crowded, but not in all corners. I followed Rick Steves' walking tour again and went through at a quick clip, but I didn't have the energy or time for a leisurely visit, so that was okay. I figured I could go back if I found the time later (ha!).

The museum was absolutely packed with things stolen from other continents. "British" indeed. Ha! The Rosetta Stone was right in the entry and surrounded by people. It was a lot HUGER than I was expecting. Lots of cool mummies. Assyrian temple walls and stuff. The Elgin Marbles, which I had recently read a thing about.

I had a tough time getting home. I thought about the Tube, but you had to make a change and still had a hike to get home. I figured out how to get back on a bus, but the buses were rerouted and I didn't understand how. This is one time I really wish I'd taken a taxi. I walked, and it was way further than I was expecting.

I went out for a nice fancy meal this night, though. While in London, I mostly had been eating sandwiches and takeaway, cheap and easy meals for the solo traveler, so it was a nice change.

Sunday.
View of London's O2 from the Royal Observatory Hill

Sunday contained one of the biggest disappointments of my trip. I trucked out to Greenwich in the morning basically solely in order to see Harrison's longitude-aiding clocks. I had just read a book all about the longitude puzzle and competition and I had avoided videos and pictures of the things because I knew I could go see them myself. AFTER I got there, AFTER I paid, AFTER I went in the Cutty Sark because it was a two-for admission, AFTER I climbed the giant hill...only THEN did they tell me they'd be replaced by some stupid steampunk exhibit and "please come back in July"--IF ONLY.

This pissed me off and cast a pallor over the whole day. And the worst part is, now I still have to go BACK to out-of-the-way Greenwich someday to see the stupid things!!

I was not in the mood for the Royal Observatory after that. I looked at the people standing in line to take their pictures on the Prime Meridian and was like "Whatever, it's a FAKE LINE, and I can cross it with every step on my way back down this GODFORSAKEN HILL if I so choose." Haha.

Weird moment on the way back down the hill. This little girl was scootering near me. Some lady touched my shoulder and was like "her hat fell off." I was in a fog of frustration and tuning out the world around me with my ipod, and I'm thinking, I'm not wearing a hat...? I said, "It's not mine." She insists, "YES, I just SAW it FLY OFF her HEAD!" Me, completely baffled and super done with this day: "It's not my kid!" So weird. Hahahaha.



Anyway, before all of that I saw the Cutty Sark which was fairly interesting and took me back to my childhood lagging behind my parents at Mystic Seaport. I especially enjoyed the cabins.


In the evening, I went to the Globe for Antony and Cleopatra. I stood as one of the groundlings and enjoyed it so much! I didn't understand all of it, but I was surprised how much I did understand and it was super funny and irreverent the way Shakespeare should be. My feet hurt a bit but for only five pounds, what an amazing experience.


I thought I took a picture of The Globe walking over the Millennium Bridge but I guess not. Here's a view from a few days later on top of St. Paul's.

No comments: