Saturday, February 7, 2015

To England: London Town, Part Two. Harry Potter and the Tower of London

On my second day in London, I headed to The Tower of London straightaway. Using information gleaned from my trusty Rick Steves guidebook, I made it there soon after 9 (after a packed rush hour on the Tube) and went straight to the Jewels so I could see them with basically no line at all. Yippee! It was very cool, though I did feel there was not enough signage. I guess they were trying to move you through. I am so ready for the next coronation so I can geek out over having seen the things. ;)

Building containing the Crown Jewels taken from inside the White Tower.

After that I circled back for a Yeoman aka Beefeater tour. Fun and funny and packed with lots of good info which helped me get situated in the proper centuries.


I went into the White Tower which had an exhibit on armor and weaponry (my favorite--NOT). Also roughly nine hundred people. I did enjoy the Norman garderobe tucked up some steps and around a corner, which 898 of the other people in there missed out on.

I have read SO MANY books about the Tudor days. This featured prominently what with all the imprisonments and beheadings. I majorly geeked out over it.

Wandered in some of the other buildings: mint, prisoner carvings, period pieces from Edward I (?), rampart walk, giant ravens (normal sized ravens but even normal ravens are HUGE). All very interesting. I gave up and went home at some point because all the things remaining to be seen had giant lines out the doors.

Another "Holy I'm in London" moment.

Around 4pm I headed out for my Friday evening entertainment of the Harry Potter Studio Tour. Unexpectedly amazing. The sets felt really real, vibrant, and detailed. Highlights: the cupboard under the stairs, Gryffindor dormitory and common room, and the Burrow. The Great Hall made an impressive entrance. Portrait of McGonagal as a young lady. The Knight Bus, which I understand so much more having sat on the upper storey of double decker buses careening through the city/narrow country lanes.

I shelled out for the audio guide and I'm so glad I did--it made me pace myself, it explained good details, and it contained Tom Felton's soothing voice. It also meant I could take a look at the sets and then sit away from them to listen to the details.
I also bought the book which was worth toting around the rest of my trip.
I was quite sad to leave. It was a pain, too. The nearest train station runs a shuttle, and it was easy enough to hop on but then it took forever for enough buses to come at the end of the day to take us all back.

Once I got back to London, though, I hopped a bus outside of Euston and rode it a couple blocks to nearer my hostel instead of walking. I finally felt like a successful London commuter with headphones in and head down!!

No comments: