Saturday, February 7, 2015

INTERLUDE: My 26th year

When I turned 26 last year, I was very apprehensive. 25 had been magical. I had gotten a grown up job and my confidence and security in my self and my life had blossomed. I really knew where I was going with my life for the first time. I wrote at the time that I finally felt like 25 was an age that fit me. I was nervous to let 25 go, because how could life continute to be better? Wouldn't it stagnate at some point?

However, 26 ended up being even more amazing than I could've foreseen. I finished my first year teaching and started the second on a constantly-strengthening curve of confidence and assuredness. I'm starting to find my identity as a teacher and feel better about who I am when I teach and what my kids are learning.

I got kicked off my old hockey team and I sobbed over it like my heart was breaking, but then I found a new team which I love even more, which feels more like a team in a few months than the old one did after years. I found friends my own age and a role as a better, quicker player, with the chance to grow even further when I had felt stagnant before. I found a close-knit and supportive community without the hierarchies I've experienced on other teams. I found acceptance.

Before they kicked me off, I scored the GWG in the state tournament final in the spring.
Besides hockey, I flourished in other physical ways, too. I continued my second summer running, and did more running into the fall and cold weather. I started doing a workout program with coworkers after school. I'm more fit than I ever have been before.

Post ill-advised running in the rain
I spent five weeks this summer in the UK, largely by myself. I saw amazing things I've dreamed about for years and I built memories. Mostly, I realized strengths and abilities I didn't know I had: independence, navigation, problem solving, and sure-footedness in new situations.

On top of a mountain in the Lake District
I went to New York and finally met a dear internet friend after eight years of friendship. I was pleased and amazed by just how well our internet friendship transferred off the screen, and I am looking forward to seeing her again next summer.

We rock.
I had a good, peaceful Christmas for the first time in years and felt improved closeness to my cousins.

I feel motivated to improve things in my apartment, add touches to make it more homey. I also have been training myself to be neater. I always put my clothes away the day I wear them now, and I've done the dishes nearly every day. I continue to see my neighborhood as my community and I went to a community meeting on transportation.

I realized a health issue and took steps to correct it which have improved every instance of my ability to deal with my daily life. I finally felt like I am in a place to date again. I bought a new car.
Tommo in his element: snow.

I turned 27 last week. And instead of feeling apprehensive like I did last year, I am leaping forward into the future with both feet, eager to see what 27 will bring.

No comments: