Sunday, December 11, 2011

A fridge full of food!

Dear lord but I was productive in the kitchen tonight. I got home around 7 from a game (in which I recorded a satisfying 2-0 shutout wooo) which, in retrospect, was a little late to tackle such lofty goals but hey. I haven't been getting to sleep until like 1 am this past week anyway (which I hate but that's another story).

I started out making Mom's Chicken Shells, which has always been a favorite of mine.


Here's what you need:

Also some jumbo pasta shells, not pictured. I threw this photo together after the fact anyway, and knew I'd forget something....

I made about a half recipe, but here is it in full.
1 box of jumbo pasta shells
6 chicken breast halfs
carrots and celery (maybe one each for each chicken breast half?? dunno. you judge.) throw some onion in there if you want
1 box stovetop stuffing
3/4 to 1 C Miracle Whip
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1-2 canfuls of broth (store bought or from cooking chicken)

Cook your shells and drain.

Throw the chicken in boiling water for 45-60 minutes. Add celery and carrots, chopped.

Cool and cube chicken.

Add stuffing to chicken/veggies. Moisten with miracle whip. Stuff into the shells.

Place shells in a single layer in a large pan. Combine broth and cream of chicken for sauce (more cream of chicken than broth--I did about 1:1 and it turned out too liquidy). Pour sauce over shells.

Cover with foil (I forgot this step--shells got a little hard). Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Eat!

You can also freeze the stuffed shells prior to oven-cooking, but mom suggests freezing shells and sauce separately--or make fresh sauce when you unfreeze.


While my chicken was cooking, I did the dishes and made the sausage balls you can see on the left here. Whew! But now I have lots of frozen meals, ready to pop in the oven after work someday. Yum yum yum yum yum!

No comments: