Sunday, October 9, 2011

Meet the Newest Member of my Family

I just brought this sweetie home with me:



Her name at the shelter was Sparky, horrific! I have a couple in mind, more about that in a moment... She was found in April 2010 "in a car" and they thought she was only 6-8 months at the time. They think that she stayed at the shelter so long because she didn't like the other cats and stuck to her own cage space, so no one really looked at her. I went on Friday and no other cats really called to me, then I met her and we seemed to click.

She'd let me pet her for a bit, then she'd get overwhelmed with feels and do this silly little dance against the bars of her cage, turning around and rubbing a couple times then settling back in for me to pet her more. Silliest thing.

Went to pick her up today after work.

She MEOWLED the whole way home in the car, poor dear--it was only like two miles. I let her out in my bedroom, she quickly vacated the carrier because she had hated it so much. She kinda wandered around the kitchen and kept going in and out of the bathroom for a bit--smaller space, safer. I was sitting near the doorway to the bathroom, afraid she'd ignore me or be freaked out by me, but she didn't mind me petting her and scritching her a little bit. She was doing her little dancing, rubbing up against everything. Including an open door which started to move, so silly.

Finally, though, she figured out how to get behind the tub (which is a claw foot).



She's been there for about three and a half hours now, content I think...and not wanting to be bothered. I'm being really good at leaving her alone (lord I am like a five year old, I just want to "love" her), but I may have to go see if she'll take a treat (or dinner?) from me after the Pens game....

Names. I'm stuck between two thoughts, naming her after a hockey player and naming her after a woman I admire. The sound of the name is more important to me than who she is being named for.

A. Julie "the Cat" Gaffney, after the girl goalie in the Ducks movies. This is the exception to the "sound" rule: not that great of a name, but it's kinda perfect.
B. Plath, for Sylvia Plath
C. Simone, for both Simone de Beauvoir (my fav feminist) and Seimone Augustus (one of my favorite Lynx players)
D. McIntire/Mac or Mc, for Molly McIntire

E. Kunitz
F. Setoguchi

And my dad may have thrown a wrench in the whole thing by suggesting "Puck". He was probably being silly, but I love it.

When my cat comes out from behind the tub, I'm gonna run these by her, but any suggestions?

No comments: