Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ten Things I Really Miss about College

My friend Kirstine and I visited our alma mater today. It was difficult. I wanted to be back there so badly! Campus was gorgeous, it was a prefect fall day, the campus was lively and bustling. We saw our favorite professor and the newest building on campus, and neither of us wanted to leave. It was a weird ache, though. Like nostalgia, more than wanting it to exist right now. The place was perfectly familiar, but still not quite mine. And I know I can't go back--it's so fruitless to want to.

Kirstine and I tried to come up with things that are better about not being in college, and barely came up with anything at all. Here are the things I miss most about college, but tomorrow I promise I'll come up with as many things that are better about being out.

In no particular order....
10. Writing papers. Starting papers when they are due in 12 hours.
9. Having stimulating class discussions.
8. Reading great nonfiction, books and articles--and procrastinating/skimming/ignoring the crappy stuff.
7. Speaking Spanish almost daily, same for reading, writing, listening on a regular basis.
6. Having meals ready for me. Do I miss the food itself? Not really but you have to admit it was convenient.
5. Connecting with professors. I always really enjoyed talking to profs (about life or school or whatever) and I miss that, their wisdom and perspective and knowing they cared about me.
4. My job at the writing place. By my senior year, I was GOOD at editing other people's papers, and I loved it.
3. Not having chores. I HATE washing dishes the most.
2. No bills or paying for groceries, fewer tanks of gas.
1. Walking around campus. It was one of those things I liked complaining about at the time, but in truth, it felt good to be outside in the fresh air and get that exercise on a regular basis. Plus, campus is gorgeous. Yes, even when it was negative 10 or super windy--hint: ALWAYS windy!!



picture not from today, but accurately beautiful.

No comments: