Thursday, September 29, 2011

Allow me to introduce you to something special...

(apologies that all these photos are from my phone)

Meet my bench.


Or, well, what it was anyway.


It was my grandma's back in the 50s or 60s--she says it was in a model home in a housing development when they bought a house. It used to be a bright orange color all over. I'm not entirely sure why the 60s thought this was a brilliant idea, because it wasn't.


It's been sitting in our garage for at least a decade since we moved--I don't remember where it was at the old house but probably something similiar--so it was neatly covered in grime, paint, mold, and old crusty contact paper.


So first there was some major sanding, courtesy of the alley.


What a difference a little sand paper makes!


All this was made harder by the fact that I was storing it in a way that was easier than hauling it in and out of the building. I think.


Oh, and pulling off that contact paper, which was a Big Deal. But luckily I could do that one inside.


Then two layers of primer.


Three layers of paint.




Some major work on the nastiest foam and fabric you ever did see.


A new seat thanks to a borrowed staple gun and the great advice of my friend Kirstine on fabric.

And......

ta-da!


(sorry for the funky coloring, should probably take a photo in the daytime at some point)
This was only my second furniture re-do ever, after I painted a dresser bright red last fall. (okay, it was actually the third, but the second one came out so crappy that I'm calling it still a work in progress, I finally figured out the best way to fix it).

Really, really proud of myself!

1 comment:

Burgh Baby said...

You SHOULD be proud of yourself. You did a great job!