Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pirates 2011

think this was the game I went to by myself, that we lost 8-2 to the Astros

Dejan just asked on twitter for best memories from this Pirates season, and what a year it was. For two months there, things were really, really happening and it was incredibly amazing to finally experience some baseball success. I love the way everyone jumped right on the bandwagon, because I always knew how excited the city could get over the Pirates and it was fantastic to experience.

What sucked was that I could follow the team more from Minnesota, because I could watch them on MLB Extra Innings but when I got to Pittsburgh, they were blacked out and my parents don't have cable so I could barely follow the games. Ironic suckage.

The thing I'll remember most about those couple weeks when this team was going somewhere was having to figure out how to talk about the team and actually be amazed, instead of using sarcasm to cover up my true feelings. It was such a departure from the norm that I barely even had words to express myself and that feeling of bewilderment felt incredible.

I'll also remember when we went into our slide, and feeling actual deep disappointment. It was so raw, the kind of upset that could only follow such a high. I slipped back into my angry, sarcastic, blase treatment of the team but rather than feeling resigned, I was actually upset.

My friend Annie is my biggest baseball buddy and we made it to two games together. One was the Friday night Red Sox game that we won 3-1 with Veras pitching to Ortiz and everything just worked out perfect--game was INCREDIBLE and the crowd was AMAZING and it was just nothing like any other Pirates experience I've ever had. The other, well....the other was more like what Pirates baseball is, a 15-5 loss to the Padres with a six-run fourth inning we could never recover from.

Seems fitting that those were the ones we saw together, the great and the pathetic. I'm used to games like the one, but the first is what I've been dreaming about. I've always hoped that someday the anomaly would be flipped.

It felt good to pretend for a little while that "someday" was today.

No comments: