Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Favorite Road in Minnesota


I could analyze this forever, but I don't want to.

There aren't many hills around here. It's not a pancake like most of Ohio or Iowa and the Mississippi runs through a deeply cut valley--but, still, especially compared to Pittsburgh, it is flat here. Streets run straight and wide, and hills are usually so small I've gotten confused when people say "go down the big hill" in driving instructions because it wasn't big enough for me to notice as an incline.

Downtown St. Paul is set on a flood plain of the Mississippi and there's a decent sized hill to get from downtown to most of the rest of the land within city boundaries. But, even in navigating hills, streets usually remain straight and wide.

So why is this my favorite road? Well, it's narrow, curvy, and hilly. In short, it's a little piece of Pittsburgh in Minnesota.

No comments: