Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kids, kids, kids?

I don't really believe in signs like they're from a higher power or the universe is trying to tell me something, because something isn't a sign unless you choose to see it as one. You bring the meaning, not the universe.

Almost all of my work experience up until now has been with kids. Several teachers I really admire have commented on my natural knack with them, but I've been actively passive about committing to kids as a career path. I knew I was good with them, but I never felt like that talent was something I really wanted to use. I didn't necessarily feel passionate about kids or teaching, it was just something I did.

A young girl came into the shop today for goalie skates...I didn't really do that much besides put them on her feet, but I kept up a conversation with her and her mom for the couple minutes we were together, and honestly? It left me wanting more. I spent all last year and all summer surrounded by kids in a school setting and I was looking forward to getting a break from them. Well, I've had a whopping six weeks away and I miss them so much already. I never expected that I would feel this way. Could be the low pressure situation, but that makes it more poignant--I can't walk away from kids. Even when they aren't my choice, there they are.

I don't think it's insignificant that she was 7, and 6-7 year olds (or around first-second grade) are the ones I keep working with the most--usually through no fault of my own! But I click with them. They're old enough to be able to answer questions and get jokes, but not old enough to give you attitude or be self-conscious. And they're young enough to be easily entertained and not be shy about thinking you're the coolest thing.

So it's not so much a sign, but a moment that shows me something I didn't know about myself, makes me realize something I was ignoring. I mean, if I weren't already a kid person, that kid could've come in my shop, I would've helped her, she would've left, and I'd move on with my day, no biggie. But because somewhere I'm wondering about my future working with kids, the moment meant more.

Maybe that's really all a sign is, though, a moment that makes you stop and rethink or proves to you something that you were on the fence about. I guess I just want to make clear that "the universe" or "god" didn't provide that girl with all this meaning, I brought a certain meaning to the situation myself.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with this sign...

2 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

I think it means Alexis needs to go visit you whenever she decides to be mouthy. ;-)

Caroline said...

Michelle--my next shift we had an entire family of ADD people and it made me so happy to say good-bye to them after I finally got their attention long enough to help them out. In short, you don't see me rushing back to life with kids!