Monday, September 19, 2011

So, it's, like, official. (alt title: Adventures at the DMV)

(obligatory "I swear I'm gonna use this blog now" note)

I had an interview this morning--more about that later, but I got the job! I was in such a wonderful mood, flying high, then I had a great meeting with a new teammate (more about that later, too), so I figured I'd head down to the DMV because I thought I'd enjoy sabotaging the best mood I've had in a long time because I actually had the "oomph" to get off my butt and do it for once.

Yes, I moved here officially as a resident over a year ago, but technically the car wasn't actually mine and my PA license didn't expire until 2012, so, yeah, well, I never really decided I was in the mood to waste most of a day at the DMV.

And it was a HUGE timesuck. I got downtown around noon, parked on the street, waited around, ran out to put more money in my meter terrified I would miss my call while I was out, but never fear, waited around more...didn't get called up until about one, took the written test (which was actually quite the challenge, took as much logic and test skills as tricky road knowledge), passed it, waited AGAIN, got called up again, got my photo taken, and then I was told I'll get the license in the mail in 4-6 weeeks ok whatever. Made it back to my car with five minutes on the meter--phew. Didn't really want my first act as a Minnesota licensed driver to be getting a parking ticket, thanks.

THEN since I was on a roll after spending an hour and a half at the *first* DMV, I had to go to an entirely different office to get my car registered here. Yes, you heard that right, but let me repeat it because it makes so much sense--I had to go to a different office to get the car registered. Awesome. Totally awesome.

At this point in the day, I stopped looking at the clock so I don't really know how long I waited. The first office was pretty nice and pretty quiet. The second office was in a Sears store and the atmosphere and people were, well, what you'd expect when the equation is Sears+DMV.

The person who helped me seemed as confused as I did about the forms (vindication on my part), and then she goes "That'll be $76.50" and I pull out my checkbook and she goes "Oh, no, you can't pay me, you have to sit back down and someone else will call you up."

Because that makes sense. Perfect, perfect sense.

So I wait for the FOURTH TIME TODAY to hand my already filled out check to someone *else*--literally all I had to do. This was my absolute favorite part of all the bureaucracy in action, even better than visiting two offices. God. And another 4-6 weeks until I get the actual title/registration back.

ANYWAY. The result of all of this? Besides waiting impatiently for the mail?


front plate, extra crazy because PA doesn't have one.

I've felt for so long trapped between my past (Pittsburgh) and my future (Minnesota), and really unsure about where my future is even located. This is such permanence and I got kinda emotional putting the plates on. I'm not just a visitor anymore. Today, more than any other day, I felt completely ready to commit to Minnesota--it's been somewhat inevitable for awhile, and more and more inevitable lately, but I've been tentative for various reasons (though I have made strong steps towards it, too, but still). Today, it was time.

Along with my new job, it feels like Minnesota is truly my home now, and I love every single thing about that.

No comments: