Saturday, November 26, 2011

Movie Review: Hugo (22/30)



My friend Marcia goes to school in Iowa and was in town for Thanksgiving with her family so we met up today for some chatting, shopping, food, and a movie.

We saw Hugo in 3D and it was absolutely enchanting. The movie is about a kid who lives in a Paris train station in the 1930s. His world is colorful and rich, steampunk'ish. His job is winding the big clocks throughout the station so the viewer follows him in these really neat "behind the scenes" sets through many striking camera angles. The movie was two hours long, but it went SUPER fast.

I don't want to give away too much of the plot, so I'll sum up: he meets a girl Isabelle and they have a prior connection that is fun for both of them to discover. Hijinks and setbacks ensue. Isabelle was my favorite character--for one, I absolutely adored her outfit. She's smart, constantly using big words for the fun of it; she reads a lot and she just wants an adventure like the kids in her books. Love that.

There were some superfluous storylines about other people in the train station which I personally thought were kind of boring, but I could believe they added a bit of color and humor to the film. Perhaps they were more important/developed in the book? I also feel like some of the connections between Hugo and Isabelle and their families could've had something more to it. Like what about Isabelle's birth parents? Looking forward to hunting the book down.

There were a couple neat cameos in the movie which I won't give away, but look for them!

All in all, a wonderful film, well worth the 3D price of admission.

No comments: