Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin "Cupcakes"

Found this recipe online and promptly lost it again. Luckily I'd written it down so when Michelle (of Burgh Baby fame) asked me for it--as I knew she would--I at least had it to type it up for her.



Pumpkin Cupcakes/Muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unless yours is gas like mine, in which case wait on that!
1 1/2 C flour
1 T pumpkin pie spice
3/4 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C canola oil
2 eggs
1 C pumpkin
2 T honey
1 t vanilla

Okay so the recipe actually called for 2 T maple syrup, not honey. I don't own maple syrup and don't like the taste on its own so I didn't run out and buy any just for this but ymmv. I DID run out and buy canola oil because I needed more oil and had never used it before.

Anyway. Mix your dry ingredients in a little bowl. Mix the sugar, oil, eggs. Blend them up together well. Then add pumpkin, honey, and vanilla. Add the flour mix into the wet ingredients. Shove in le oven, bake 22-27 minutes. Supposedly makes 12, but it really turned out to be enough for about 13/14.

The frosting
12.5 g cream cheese, room temp
1/2 C unsalted butter, toom temp
pinch salt
2 1/4 C powdered sugar
1 t pumpkin pie spice (KEY!)

Beat the first three on low. Add sugar a bit at a time. Increase mixer speed until light and fluffy. Add the spice and beat lightly, just to spread it through the icing. The original recipe said the spice was optional which would be a huge failure. It totally makes it. Also, keep an eye on how sweet you're making it. Mine ended up too sweet--though I wasn't measuring very carefully so I can't tell you what a good amount of sugar would be.

Put on cool cupcakes. Eat! Remember to take better photos than me!

No comments: