Friday, November 4, 2011

The Tutor Life (4/30)

When I was trying to figure out what to do with my life this fall, I was thinking about heavily trying to recruit kids to tutor. I ended up getting my other job, and I'd still like to tutor but since I don't have a set schedule, I haven't really pursued it.

I am tutoring for one kid of one of my teammates though. He's in fifth grade and just started taking Spanish, so he doesn't know that much and he doesn't have tests or anything. But she wants me to get him excited about it, I guess. Much, much different from tutoring college kids! I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what kinds of games we can play to work on his vocab. He knows a couple groups of words right now: colors, food, animals, sports, numbers.

Here's some things we've done:
1. Hangman
2. Pictionary
3. Memory
4. Go Fish--asking for numbers in Spanish. We even learned how to say "do you have" and "go fish!" and also jack-queen-king-ace. (sota-reina-rey-as)

Pictionary goes over the best, I think. I want to do something with colors next week. One week I said colors and made him find stuff in the room that were in that color, and another week I had a word search and he had to circle the word for each color in the color it said. Maybe we could do a paint by numbers or something similar to that?

I also made him make flashcards this week for the animals.

I'm having fun coming up with ideas, but sometimes I wish I had a little more direction--or at least more words to study!

Any other ideas for easy games that encourage vocab?

No comments: